Thursday, March 28, 2013

Smile..Even Though It Hurts

My family migrated in the United States few years ago. I still have a clear memory the first time we arrived at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. I was bundles up with 4 layers of clothes. One thing is for sure, I am not in tropical country anymore where we get an average of 75 degrees. Most of the people I see are white and blonde. I felt like an outcast. And worst,  I felt like all eyes are on me.

Remember Inception? Yes, I perceived everything that time as dream. Until I woke up the following day, and I am still cold. It was not a dream after all. I am in America. We went to a restaurant and instead of using fork, I used a spoon because that was what I'm used to. I heard a giggle from the other table. I felt embarrassed. It hurts.. but I still smiled.

I attended school in America,  the professor criticized my writing so many times saying that "I don't belong in this class". She said I write differently. Being different is not considered a sin. It is not wrong. It is not similar as being deviant. I don't belong, but I still continued pursuing my dreams.

yes, I do things differently, I say things very different from how people say things. I tell you what, I guess at this point of my life, I don't really care. Let's live life tot the fullest.

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy you didn't let one professor ruin your educational goals. Your a senior in college that is great and you can definitely smile about that. How wrong that professor was to tell you that.

    ReplyDelete